Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Dancer's Foot

I always wanted to be a dancer, back when I was a small child, dancing in front of the television to the TJ Maxx commercial.

It was not immediately meant to be. Always tall for my age (I currently stand at 5'10"), my mother tried to get me into ballet classes when I was in fifth grade. Studio owners said that I was too tall, too old, and that there would be no shoes to fit me. So I took no ballet lessons.

When I started working at a law office, in the same building was a dance studio. I would frequently see dancers out in the hallway. On New Year's Eve, 2002/03 I saw the movie Center Stage. It was the impetus I needed to make that phone call. Very soon after, I was enrolled in ballet classes.

Six and a half years later, I've come a long way from beginner ballet. It's been a rough road: I'm dancing with people half my age, who have been dancing forever. Many of the basics I've missed and catching up is a constant. Building strength is key to prevent injuries.

At one ballet class I met a podiatrist who went to school with my next door neighbors. We became friends and she became my doctor when foot problems developed. I now currently work for her, advertising, marketing, and writing. Our relationship, personal and professional, has taught us that there are a lot of dancers out there who have foot ailments, both big and small. This blog will serve as a record not only of my classes and subsequent foot problems, but to educate dancers on proper foot and ankle care and prevention.

Dancingly,
Jenn

1 comment:

  1. How old were you when you started classes? I've always loved ballet and it's been a dream of mine to someday dance on pointe (no, not on stage or anything, but just to be able to do it). I'm 26 now...and I have the feeling it's just too late.

    ReplyDelete