Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dear Jenn: Bruised toenails

Dear Jenn,
I take advanced ballet class several times a week for several hours at a time. I'm getting a lot of bruised toenails, which are hindering my performance in class. What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future?
I've gotten this in the past and it is definitely painful and not pleasant to look at! Your pointe shoes are probably to blame for the bruising. Are you still wearing the same size shoe you were wearing a year ago? Our feet change over our lifetimes and what may have fit us last year may not fit us this year. Feet get flatter or wider. Take a look at your shoes. Are they too short or too narrow for your foot? This will add unnecessary pressure on your toes. If the shoes are too wide, your toes will shift every time you go on releve. You should probably go back to your pointe shoe supplier and get a professional fit.
Keeping good care of your toenails is important as well. Your toenails should be trimmed short and along its natural curve. If you are unsure how to do this, make an appointment with your podiatrist today so they can show you the proper method. If you are not wearing any toe pads, I highly recommend you wear them (no pointe [har har] in suffering!). There are many different options out there for you to try, including lambswool, the new green bamboo padding I posted yesterday, gel pads, and others. I would also try adding individual toe caps to the nails that are affected the most. You can also apply anesthetic like Neosporin to the toenail to help it heal. If the nail is raised or continues to look bloody, then a podiatrist may have to drain the blood from the nail.
Send your foot and ankle dance questions to: jenn@centralctfootcare.com.
Dancingly,
Jenn
Dr. Tina A. Boucher, Dance Podiatrist

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jenn

    About 3 weeks ago I played a game of football, but the thing is i was playing with a pair of shoes that were one size too small for me and totally bruised both of my nails, just want to say thanks for the advice on how to look after my toes. I pray that this does not happen to anybody cause it just plain sucks.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete