Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dear Jenn: How Do I Get A Nice Arch?

Dear Jenn,
I feel like every ballet dancer I see has a beautiful arch and instep. I have a low arch and instep, making for a foot that does not good terribly good when pointed. I've been using a Thera-Band and it's strengthening my feet, but I'm not noticing a difference. Is there anyway to make them look better?

Ahh, another thing I can commisserate on. I have pretty flat feet and I can point my feet all day, use a Thera-Band, and hope and dream, but nothing happens. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to change the bone structure in your feet that will create a more beautiful arch and instep.
Kendra Mitchell, a ballet dancer at Ballet Arizona says "I always wanted great feet growing up, and it used to get me down. But I eventually figured out how to work with them." Working with a Thera-Band will help strengthen your feet and I would recommend to continue your exercises. Mitchell recommends doing this exercise: Keep your heel on the floor and pick up a marble with your toes. Move your foot to the right and place the marble back on the floor. Repeat to the left.
If possible, wear a deshanked pointe shoe during barre to help articulate your foot and toe articulation. This will also help strengthen your demi-pointe. Mitchell used to practice walking and running in her shoes, and continues to work on maintaining good turn-out. Remember that when you are turned out your heel is up and forward and therefore your arch is less visible. Look at how pretty Melissa Hough's back foot looks- it's completely turned-out.
When you reach an advanced stage in your training, you can cut your shanks where your arch bends the most so it will flatter your foot the best. You can also sew the sides of your shoes down to create the illusion of a bigger arch or purchase shoes with a lower vamp.
I have several dancers in my class who have beautiful feet, but often times they have sway-back knees, which makes it difficult for them to fully stretch on pointe. Remember that it is the technique and quality of your dancnig that matters the most and is what professional companies are looking for, not your arch. Concentrate on another part of your body which you feel is your best. Do you have lovely arms or back? Concentrate on an amazing port-a-bras instead.

Send your questions to jenn@centralctfootcare.com.

Dancingly,
Jenn
jenn@centralctfootcare.com
Dr. Tina Boucher, DPM, Dance Podiatrist

No comments:

Post a Comment