Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dear Jenn: Weak Ankles in Ballet

Dear Jenn,

I'm finding that my right ankle has been "going out" on me during ballet class. My teacher recommended that I do releves to strengthen them, but I haven't noticed a difference. Is there something else I can do?

Are you talking about me? Because this is the exact problem I have! Your teacher is correct in recommending that you continue to practice your releves, both on two feet and on one feet.
It would be good to invest in a TheraBand, a strength resistance band found at podiatrist's offices. Exercises that you can do that would be beneficial are:
*Sitting down, wrap the TheraBand around the ball of one flexed foot. As you wing your foot out to the side, provide resistance on the band, and bring it back to center. Do this 10 to 20 times and repeat with a sickled foot.
*Wrap the Theraband around your arch and flex and point your foot. Repeat 10 to 20 times.
*Tie the TheraBand around both of your feet, midfoot, and slowly move your feet away from each other. Repeat 10 to 20 times.
You can also purchase a balance disc to practice simple balancing exercises. With one foot on the disc, raise the other foot off the ground. Once you have that mastered, try closing your eyes and crossing your arms over your chest.
If you are practicing your releves, with a TheraBand, and with the balance disc, you should notice a difference in your ankle strength. If you do not, then talk with your podiatrist.

Dancingly,
Jenn
jenn@centralctfootcare.com
Dr. Tina Boucher, DPM, Dance Podiatrist

No comments:

Post a Comment