Monday, July 11, 2011

Dear Jenn: Ankle Sprains

Dear Jenn,
I've found that I'm spraining my ankle a lot lately. I've been intensely training in ballet 4 hours a day, and I find that I'm spraining my ankle often. What could be the problem?

I've gotten a couple of e-mails about this, so it must be a common problem dancers are having! I personally have never sprained my ankle dancing, but with a weak right ankle, I'm sure it will happen someday.
An ankle sprain is an injury to one or more of the ligaments, typically on the outside of the ankle. Ligaments "band" one bone to another and bind joints together. These are especially important in the ankle because they allow side-to-side movement and stability.
An ankle sprain can be a minor or major injury, depending on how badly you injured the ligament. Is it stretched, partially torn, or completely torn? Remember that sprains are not the same as strains, which involve the muscles. You could perhaps have an ankle strain instead.
Sprains are usually caused by falls, spills, twists, and blows that force the ankle out of its normal position (in ballet, that means every position!). If you have weak ankles or previous sprains, you will be more susceptible to ankle sprains.
Symptoms include: pain or soreness, swelling, bruising, difficulty walking, and stiffness in the joint. Symptoms vary in intensity, depending on how severe the sprain is. You may feel your ankle is wobbly and unsteady. The important course of action is seeking immediate medical attention. It is important to get prompt medical attention because leaving it untreated may lead to chronice instability, which is characterized by persistent discomfort and a giving way feeling. A more serious injury could have also happened with the strain, including a bone fracture. The sprain could also be hiding the real source of the problem, which could be a more serious foot injury.
A podiatrist will x-ray your foot and obtain a history of the problem in their evaluation. They will recommend R.I.C.E., along with anti-inflammatory medications. The most important and hardest part of your treatment will be staying off that foot- I know, hard for dancers to do! But if you want get better and stay better, then you need to rest.
Dancingly, Jenn
jenn@centralctfootcare.com
Dr Tina Boucher, Dance Podiatrist

No comments:

Post a Comment