Thursday, July 7, 2011

So You Think You Can Dance Season 8 Week 4

I had called my mom to talk with her after getting home from an adventure with my husband and since So You Think You Can Dance was on, I asked her how the episode was going so far. "I'm not impressed," she commented. Overall, I would have to agree. Why does it seem that every other week, the shows are good? Perhaps last night was less than enthralling because the choreographers were mostly new to the show? And yes, when I saw a round-off, I did scream as promised.
Impressions and comments:
*Boy's Group Number: I loved how they had Marko in the center. He was very strong, believable, and my attention was drawn to him every time. I thought Jess also stood out in this routine. I'm having a difficult time this season believing some of the concepts these choreographers are coming up with. I don't know that I saw all seven stages of grief. I think the choreographers are trying too hard this year to come up with stories to entertain. Instead, why not just come up with a piece for dancing's sake alone?
*Melanie and Marko: When I looked at the choreographer, I assumed that his style would be Fosse-like, or jazz-Broadway. But when the routine began, it was not at all what I expected. The costumes were good, but again, I didn't see the concept played out. What I saw were two very good dancers doing a Spanish infused piece, with strong dancing.
*Sasha and Alexander: Here is a prime example of choreography gone wrong. Nigel said how he thought it was hip-hop 101- well, the dancers aren't to blame for that, the choreographer is!!! Sasha and Alexander had already proven that they could do hip-hop very well in the NappyTabs soldier routine, so this is clearly a case of bad choreography. I liked the use of the tree as a prop, and they were cute in the routine, but it was something you may have seen at your local dance studio.
*Jordan and Tadd: Odd, weird, but beautiful (?!) routine. I think Tadd stole the show once again. For a b-boy, his port a bras is amazing. My husband came down to watch the show for a while, and every time Tadd moved his arms, I went crazy. It proves that if you work hard enough and get over any kind of hang-ups you have about doing a genre outside of your own, it can be done. A side note: my new scream of the week: if I see Jordan do that one leg up in the air thing one more time, ahh!!! Find something else. Put the leg to the side, in front, somewhere else! We all know you can do that, so please stop. Now.
*Clarice and Jess: Finally! A piece where I felt like the chemistry was not forced between them. It was believable, real, and raw. When Clarice put her hand on Jess's side, and he pulled it away, the emotion that was on his face I bought. It was the first routine where I felt like they truly connected. However, isn't this routine about a couple breaking up? So they don't like each other anymore... Perhaps they channeled that from their own relationship!
*Ashley and Chris: Yuck, yuck, yuck. I almost fast-forwarded through this routine. Two weeks in a row, they've bored me. Compare this routine to the samba Caitlynn and Mitchell did last week, there are no comparisons. Mitchell didn't know how to do the steps either, but he was so much more believable than Chris was. Ashley to me just doesn't exude sexiness. She came across as cute, fun, but definitely not sexy!
*Ryan and Ricky: Another weird routine. Good song choice, and decent choreography, but I didn't see how fashion had ruined them. They looked like zombies who got into a closet, pulled out some clothes, and went dancing.
*Caitlynn and Mitchell: !!! What an awesome routine. Done by Mandy Moore, of course, who choreographed one of my all-time favorite SYTYCD routines- the jazz with Neil and Sabra. You remember that one. I didn't necessarily see that it was a love story, but more a celebration of love, happiness, and good feelings. The leaps Caitlynn did were unbelievable, and the passion, technique, and power it took to perform that are beyond anything anyone else on that show could have done. I thought it was sweet how emotional Mitchell was afterwards- congrats to him for making something out of his life and rising above hardship to follow his dream. He's an inspiration to all poor kids who want to dance.

*Girl's Group Number: Liked this routine from the new jazz choreographer much better than the one he did for Melanie and Marko. The girls were cunning, devious. Loved the walking bit the most!
Until next week!
Dancingly,
Jenn
jenn@centralctfootcare.com
Dr. Tina Boucher, Dance Podiatrist

No comments:

Post a Comment