Thursday, September 22, 2011

Every BODY Can Dance

I love getting e-mails from people in the dance community, asking questions, looking for me to help them promote a product or service, or just looking to chat about dance! I got an e-mail this morning from Ryan Beck, a dancer and choreographer, who has performed around the world and with some of today's biggest names. He has co-started a project with Jason Ray Brown called Every BODY Can Dance, a project which I think many of us can relate to.
If you've ever thought "I'd love to dance but I don't have the right body for it" and given up on your dream of dancing, then you need to check this project out. For those of you who've read this blog and know my story, you know that I was told I could never dance because I was too tall- no shoes would fit me, no leotards either (although now thinking back, I would have made a great Balanchine ballerina [Balanchine was known for loving very tall ballerinas]). At the age of 16 I threw caution to the wind and followed my heart.
Ryan and Jason are firm believers that every one can truly dance, no matter what body type or anatomy they have. They are looking to study the body's anatomy first, and then develop a technique that will fit you personally. It's a stand out idea. Ryan likens those who try one style and find that their body won't work in it like putting a square peg into a circular hole.
Research will begin in October and culminate with a free community workshop at the Manhattan Jewish Community Center in March 2012.
They are looking for pledges to get their project started. Donations fit every pocket, with pledges starting at $1. I hope they are able to make their goal, because this is a project I would love to see come to fruition.
Dancingly, Jenn
jenn@centralctfootcare.com
Dr Tina Boucher, Dance Podiatrist

1 comment:

  1. I love dance too. It's a good exercise to both the body and the mind. It gives me a peaceful mind. Nice sharing your thoughts. Had a great read. Keep posting.
    foot doctors Pompano Beach, FL

    ReplyDelete